This one really gets my goat. Just the thought of condensed mushroom soup plopping out of the can turns me off :P If it’s listed in a recipe I turn the page as quickly as possible, but once in a while I see a recipe that might be worth making, so I’ve decided to research making my own version of condensed soup. I found a few recipes but these were the top rated. I have yet to try them, but I will review them as I go along.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Base
2 big cloves of garlic
1 1/2 c sliced crimini mushrooms
3 T flour
1 1/2 c vegetable stock
1 c milk
1 bay leaf
1/4 t white pepper
3 T freshly chopped parsley
juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Smash one clove of garlic with the flat edge of your knife. Mince the other clove and set aside.
2. In a large skillet place about 3 T of olive oil and the smashed garlic clove. Heat over a medium high flame. Once oil is hot and fragrant, add the mushrooms. Stir to coat in the oil, then leave then alone. Mushrooms will appear to soak up all the oil, but if you are patient, they will soon release their juices. In about a minute, they will brown. Turn them. Remove the smashed garlic clove and add the minced one. (That is my technique for imparting lots of garlic flavor without chancing burnt garlic.)
3. Once mushrooms have browned, season with sea salt and white pepper. Add about 1 T olive oil. Sprinkle with flour and stir. This will look messy. Stir the mushrooms and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Add the vegetable stock and stir like crazy. You may want to use a whisk to get the flour incorporated in the liquid. Add the milk and bay leaf. Cook over a medium flame, stirring frequently. Within 5-10 minutes, sauce will have thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove bay leaf and add parsley and lemon juice before serving.
Cream of Chicken or Celery Soup
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon poultry, seasoning*
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/16 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt (or less, taste to test)
1/8 teaspoon parsley
1/2 dash paprika
3/4 cup milk
3/8 cup flour
1/3 cup cooked chicken, mushrooms, or celery
1. In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
3. Add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup – sautéed chicken or celery and simmer for 5-10 minutes. (Makes equivalent to 1 can of condensed soup)
Onion Soup & Dip Mix
3 onion bouillon cubes, crushed (use organic, low-sodium brand)
1 beef bouillon cube, crushed (use organic, low-sodium brand)
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup instant onion flakes
2 dashes pepper
Put all ingredients in a small sandwich bag. Seal well and store in cool, dry place.
Attach to Bags:
To use: Empty package into a pot and gradually stir in 4 cups cold water and
1 Tbsp. butter. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 20 minutes. Ladle
soup into oven proof bowls, sprinkle with croutons or toasted bread. Then add
one slice provalone cheese. Briefly put bowls under a broiler to melt cheese.
Serve. Makes 4 1-cup servings.
Mix one package onion soup mix with 2 cups sour cream. Chill before serving
And listed below is bonus recipe which I found at www.gimmesomeoven.com I hope she doesn’t mind. It looks really good!
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 5 minutes Yield: About 1 cup
- 1/3 cup dry buttermilk (**see note below**)
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried chives
- 1 tsp. salt
Whisk all ingredients together until blended. If you want a more finely-ground seasoning mix, you can pulse the mixture in a food processor until it reaches your desired consistency.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
**To Make Ranch Dressing: Combine 1 Tbsp. seasoning mix with 1/3 cup mayo and 1/3 cup milk, and whisk to combine. You can also substitute Greek yogurt for the mayo.