RSS Feed

Salade Nicoise

I thought I would share another simple salad idea with everyone, inspired by Julia Child’s recipe, I whipped up my own, with the ingredients I had on hand in my kitchen. Also, I must admit, I’ve never eaten an anchovy. Have any of you? What do they taste like? Is it worth hunting them down to give them a try? I also don’t like olives so if they’re similar, that gives me my answer.

In other news, I’m doing well on my cutting down on sugar and diet soda type diet. I’ve had maybe 3 sodas in the past week, which is good for me. And my sugar treats were the ice creams from Marble Slab, which in my book, are totally worth it. I like the idea of the 80/20 diet – 80% of the time you eat well, and the other 20% of the time you have a little fun! Unfortunately, those ice creams probably consisted of 50% of my daily calories over the weekend. lol

Salade Niçoise

Yield: Serves 6

From Julia’s Kitchen Wisdom, by Julia Child.

1 large head Boston-lettuce leaves, washed and dried

1 pound green beans, cooked and refreshed

1-1/2 tablespoons minced shallots

1/2 to 2/3 cup basic vinaigrette

Salt and freshly ground pepper

3 or 4 ripe red tomatoes, cut into wedges (or 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes, halved)

3 or 4 “boiling” potatoes, peeled, sliced, and cooked

Two 3-ounce cans chunk tuna, preferably oil-packed

6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved

1 freshly opened can of flat anchovy fillets

1/3 cup small black Niçoise-type olives

2 to 3 tablespoons capers

3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter or in a shallow bowl. Shortly before serving, toss the beans with the shallots, spoonfuls of vinaigrette, and salt and pepper. Baste the tomatoes with a spoonful of vinaigrette. Place the potatoes in the center of the platter and arrange a mound of beans at either end, with tomatoes and small mounds of tuna at strategic intervals. Ring the platter with halves of hard-boiled eggs, sunny side up, and curl an anchovy on top of each. Spoon more vinaigrette over all; scatter on olives, capers, and parsley, and serve.

Advertisements

About heathershomemade

Cupcake obsessed foodie from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: