I’ve never had white bean chili before so its kind of strange when you’re used to tomato based sauce, but it was good nonetheless. It’s also easy to put together and doesn’t take a lot of time or money (big plus in my books). It doesn’t look terribly appetizing though so I didn’t post any photos.
Hearty White Bean Chili
• 1 lb / 454 g dry great northern beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
• 4 cups / 950 ml low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 cups / 480 ml yellow onions, chopped
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp / 10 ml ground cumin
• 1½ tsp / 7.5 ml dried oregano
• 1 tsp / 5 ml dried ground coriander
• 1/8 tsp / 0.625 ml ground cloves
• 1 x 4-oz / 120 ml can chopped green chilies
• 2 lbs / 907 g boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast, grilled and cubed
• 1 tsp / 5 ml sea salt
- Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover beans by two inches. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour. Drain and rinse. Discard liquid.
- Place beans in a slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until beans are not quite tender. Add the chilies, chicken and sea salt. Cook for another hour until beans are tender.