I made these a couple of nights ago and had a mini “adventure”, shall we say. Because I’m working full time now I don’t have much time to cook when I get home so I make something the night before and eat it the next day, after baby has gone to sleep. This night I had already thawed the turkey so I had to make it so that it wouldn’t spoil. I didn’t have barbeque sauce so I used ketchup and about a teaspoon or so of chipotle hot sauce. I mixed it all together, put it in the muffin tins and popped them in the oven while I worked on another blog post. A while later I smelled something burning. The edges of my meatloaves were black! They were in there for the recommended amount of time. Next time I think I’ll cut off about 10 minutes and check for pinkness. They were so ugly I didn’t take a pic. 😉 Photo featured is from http://www.turkeyfarmersofcanada.ca . The meatloaves were moist and tasty on the inside though so I removed some of the charred outer layer and ate them anyway! LOL I’ll try them with actual barbeque sauce next time. My toddler loved them, so that alone makes it well worth a second try.
Meatloaf Muffins (From Skinny Kitchen)
Ingredients for meatloaf:
1 package (~1.25 pounds) 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
1 slice whole wheat or multigrain bread (I used Milton’s Multi-Grain) or ½ cup store bought bread crumbs.
1 cup onions, finely diced
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup barbecue sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Topping:
⅓ cup barbecue sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. To make bread crumbs: Toast 1 slice whole wheat or multigrain bread. Place in blender and pulse until made into crumbs.
3. In a large bowl, add ground turkey, bread crumbs, onions, egg, Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup barbecue sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Using your hands or a large spoon, thoroughly mix together until well blended.
4. Add meatloaf mixture to the top of each muffin cup, flattening out the tops. Top each meatloaf muffin with ¾ tablespoon barbecue sauce and spread evenly over top.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. Run a knife around each muffin to loosen it from pan. Remove to a serving plate.
Makes 9 meatloaf muffins (1-2 muffins per serving)
Prep Tip: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes