I am on a quest again for healthy snacks. This is another good one I found through Pinterest but is originally from www.fitsugar.com. Once you roast the chickpeas they are kind of like honey roasted peanuts but much healthier. They fit they bill if you’re looking for either crunchy, salty, or sweet. One half of the nuts I just coated and ate warm and the other half I coated and put back in the oven to caramelize. I definitely like the caramelized ones more. And if you’re interested, www.fitsugar.com has some great workouts often developed by celebrity trainers. Many of the videos are only 10 minutes long but still kick your butt. Here’s their YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit/videos
Roasted Honey Cinnamon Chickpeas
15-ounce can organic garbanzo beans
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat silicone mat.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a colander. Place them on a towel to dry off.
3. Spread chickpeas on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until crispy. Test one, and if it’s still soft, bake for longer.
4. While the chickpeas are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the oil, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Enjoy as is or for a caramelized effect, place them back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so.
5. Store leftover chickpeas in an airtight container.
Makes four servings. 146 calories, 2.6 g fat, 26 g carbs, 6.2 g protein, 4.3 g sugar. Source of iron and calcium.
Total nutrition here: http://www.fitsugar.com/Roasted-Honey-Cinnamon-Chickpeas-27908653