These need some kind of catchy name because they’re so simple yet the name is horribly cumbersome. Pretzel Turtles maybe? It’s basically a homemade turtle with a pretzel stuck to the bottom. Turtles on a Raft! That’s kinda cute! lol As an experiment I winged it, and melted the pretzel/ caramel stacks in the microwave for about 15 seconds or so then stuck on the pecan. I melted some semi-sweet chocolate and didn’t bother adding the other ingredients, then added that to the top and popped them in the fridge for about 20 minutes before sampling. I would use a lot more chocolate next time though. These are pretty good, especially if you love the salty/sweet combo. Cute idea for Christmas!
Note: Do not microwave directly onto the plate. Put down some parchment paper first or else you’ll need a chisel to get off any hardened caramel. I learned that the hard way. 😉
Turtles on Rafts 🙂
- 40 Mini-pretzels (be sure to use whole, unbroken ones)
- 40 Kraft Caramels, Unwrapped
- 10 ounces, Baker’s Semi-sweet Chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 40 whole Pecan Halves, toasted
- 1/2 cup toasted Baker’s shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Arrange the pretzels in neat rows on the pan, then top each pretzel with an unwrapped caramel. Place the pan into the oven for 6 minutes, or until the caramels are softened; remove the pan from the oven.
- Gently press a toasted pecan half onto each caramel; set aside and cool completely.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate, coconut oil, cinnamon, and vanilla. You can do this on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- When the caramel covered pretzels have cooled, remove them from the baking sheet.
- Place a few in the bowl of melted chocolate, stir them around to coat completely, then remove them one at a time, allowing excess chocolate to drip off; repeat until all pretzels have been dipped; transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Top wet chocolate with coconut, if using.
- Allow chocolate coating to cool completely before serving.