This is my first year making little gifts for my daughter’s teachers and babysitter. Her babysitter is Muslim (but she takes part in some Christmas traditions) so I needed to find something I could make with Halal ingredients and I thought these nuts would be great for everyone. I added some almonds and cashews to the pecans for a little variety. It’s really simple, and it first bite it doesn’t seem like much, but the more you eat, the more you want, they’re so addictive! These would be great to have on hand when the holiday visits start. They’re also a lovely topping to sweeten up salads or coarsely chopped on top of oatmeal. With the nuts I included a little satchel of “Holiday Scent” and threw it all inside a festive gift bag. My daughter had fun helping to stuff the bags so it’s a win-win all around!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound pecan halves (about 4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk egg white and water together in a separate bowl until frothy. Toss pecans in the egg white mixture. Mix sugar mixture into pecan mixture until pecans are evenly coated. Spread coated pecans onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until pecans are evenly browned, 1 hour.
2 cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
5 allspice berries
the zest of an orange
Add ingredients to a small saucepan, along with about 1 cup of water. Simmer on the stove top to release scent. Add water as needed. (Watch carefully because you definitely do not want to scorch your pan!)